Thursday 22 August 2019

Review: Vigilante City (Chargen Examples)

I did everything in the order the book explained: (1) rolled and assigned attributes, (2) determined hit points and saving throws, (3) rolled twice on the background table, (4) chose a class, (5) determined starting possessions, (6) wrote down combat stats (here I made a single deviation: by the book, attack bonuses are noted before equipment is finalised).


For the first character I knew I wanted to make a Knight Nurse (because of the badass name), so I looked up the requirements (12+ in both INT and WIS), and assigned my attributes accordingly.

As a Knight Nurse I get +2 to Courage saves, as well as a bunch of skills (Combat Training, First Aid +2, Knowledge - Local Geography, Piloting: Basic, Street Survival, and two skills of my choice) and some other traits (−2 for all attacks, +1 AC, and the Mend Wounds and Into the Fray abilities). I also gain +1 INT and WIS and −1 STR and SUR. Then I note my starting gear and roll on the money chart.

The Skills section starts by saying everyone gets 4 other skills unless they have a skill pack or their class says otherwise. Knight Nurse says I already have 2 skills of my choice, so I assume I don't get 4 further skills beyond that (I ended up picking Street Smart and Subterfuge).

I almost forgot about it, as it's only mentioned in the gear chapter that all vigilantes start with a 12-slot belt. It takes up 2 Encumbrance slots (of which I have 8 as my STR is 8), and some of my other items can be stored there, which is a godsend. However, I had to discard several items from my pre-packaged medic kit as it didn't have enough slots to store all my medi-packs).

The process took roughly 40 minutes. I didn't deliberate much on my choices; I went with my gut feelings. However, flipping back and forth, getting the details of equipment, and figuring out some perceived contradictions took time.


Knight Nurse, level 1

STR 8 −1
INT 14 +1 (speaks 1 extra language)
WIS 16 +2 (gains +1 XP per session)
DEX 13 +1
CON 10
CHA 14 +1
SUR 11

HP 4
AC 13 (+1 DEX, +1 class, +1 padded armour)
Melee −3 (−1 STR, -2 class)
Ranged −1 (+1 DEX, −2 class)
Initiative +1 (+1 DEX)
Move 12 (9 swimming)

Courage 10
Critical 14
Death 14
Magic 6
Mental 10
Poison 12

Background
  • A parent is doing life in prison; I'm sworn to prove their innocence (+2 Knowledge - Law)
  • Mom was a prostitute killed by her pimp (+1 attack and damage vs. pimps and people mistreating women)
  • Parents were paramedics (1500 money; +1 First Aid)

Skills
  • Combat Training (able to use light armour and light melee weapons)
  • First Aid (+3 from ranks, +2 from WIS, and +1 from my background)
  • Knowledge - Local Geography (+1 from INT)
  • Piloting: Basic (+1 from DEX)
  • Street Survival (+2 from WIS) scavenge useful items in urban environs; use basic firearms and light melee weapons; create traps
  • Street Smart (+2 from WIS) track down info, drugs, and items
  • Subterfuge (+2 from WIS) disguise, espionage, forgery, lock picking, lying, spying, tracking; +2 against people trying to deceive me
  • Knowledge - Law (at +1 bonus from ranks and further +1 from INT)

Special
  • Access to an ambulance
  • You may Mend Wounds during combat. You may do this 1 time per day equal to your level + your WIS modifier (3 for me).
  • Into the Fray: If you are going to aid an injured target you may re-roll your Initiative (adding your WIS & DEX bonus to the roll), gain +d6 Move and gain Advantage on all First Aid checks for 2 minutes.

Gear (6 slots; unencumbered)
  • 1500 money
  • Padded, Light (+1 AC) the class description didn't specify whether it was Padded, Light or Padded, Heavy; both count as Light armour, but I went with the cheaper one
  • Moderate Clothes/ Uniform
  • nightstick (1d4 damage)
  • pepper spray (poison save or stunned for 2 rounds)

Utility Belt (12 slots used out of 12)
  • First Aid Kit, Advanced (takes up 2 slots)
  • Water Bottle × 2 (12 oz. each)
  • Medi-Poison Pack
  • 5 × Medi-Pack I (each pack is usable 1d4+1 times and heals 2d6 hp)
  • blanket
  • knife

For my second character, I decided to make something sturdier, and I settled on Dark Avenger. They require a STR score of 12 or higher, so I arranged my attributes accordingly.

Dark Avengers get +2 Mental save (because they are unwavering). Their starting skills are Combat Training, one Fighting skill, Interrogation +2, Intimidation +1, Street Smarts, and 2 other skills. They also have +1 STR and DEX and −1 CHA and SUR.

Unfortunately, I didn't create my second character right after the first, so I had to spend some time getting familiar with the book yet again. Still, I think it took about 30 minutes to make the character from scratch, which is not that bad. A handful of the items in the burglar's kit that I eventually settled on for this character weren't listed in the equipment section, so that required some judgement calls.


Dark Avenger, level 1

STR 17 +2
INT 10
WIS 12
DEX 16 +2
CON 15 +1
CHA 4 −2
SUR 12

HP 4 (I rolled rather poorly again)
AC 13 (+2 DEX, +1 armour)
Melee +2 (+2 STR)
Ranged +2 (+2 DEX)
Initiative +2 (+2 DEX)
Move 12 (9 swimming)

Courage 9
Critical 12
Death 9
Magic 10
Mental 11
Poison 12

Background
  • Always been drawn to fighting but have maintained a sense of fairness. (+2 VIG Points) a very interesting trait for a raging avenger, but it's workable
  • A corporation cheated my parents out of their housing when I was young. Hatred of mega-corporations. (+2 to melee damage and −2 to social interactions with large corporate people)
  • Lives in the sewers under the city (+1 to Street Survival and 4d6 money) goes really well with the previous background element

Skills
  • Combat Training (able to use light armour and light melee weapons)
  • Fighting: Brawling (+1 attack with punches/kicks, +1 vs. Intimidation, and +1 Toughness)
  • Interrogation (+2 STR, +2 class)
  • Intimidation (+1 class)
  • Street Smart track down info, drugs, and items
  • Street Survival (from background)
  • Athletics: Basic (+1 CON, DEX, and STR)
  • Parkour (+2 DEX) advantage on climbing and jumping

Gear (6 slots; unencumbered)
  • 23 money
  • club (light melee, 1d6)
  • screwdriver (light melee, 1d4)
  • Padded, Light (+1 AC) the class description didn't specify whether it was Padded, Light or Padded, Heavy; both count as Light armour, but I went with the cheaper one
  • Moderate Clothes/Uniform

Utility Belt (12 or maybe 13 slots used out of 12)
  • backpack
  • 100’ rope (2 slots)
  • shuko
  • crowbar
  • climbing pads (maybe 2 slots?)
  • grappling hook
  • gloves
  • mask
  • glass cutters
  • lockpicks (+2 Lock picking)
  • knife

2 comments:

  1. Do you get two backgrounds or do you roll twice and pick one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Your GM may choose to have you roll once or twice on the Random Background Chart to give your character an
      interesting background." (p22)

      Delete