Here is a little preview of something I have been working on: a city supplement presented as a random encounter table. Below you can find a work-in-progress description of a district, plus a piece of the encounter table expanded.
A hundred docks and a hundred ships. Cost of entry is a seashell. Gloom is a popular dissociative.
- Fishmongers’ Guild (rivals of whalers; ruled by the gang of One-Eyed Katlar)
- Malakai’s Shed (standard equipment up to 25gp; addicted to gloom)
- Outrageous Serpent (low class tavern and gambling den)
- Shrine of the Silver Moon (dedicated to Luna; grants blessing on a full moon)
- Voracious Nautilus (low class eatery specialising in seafood)
- Whalers’ Guild (selling whale oil and aphrodisiacs from narwhale horn)
Patrons & Contacts
- Abraxas (seaweed covered mummy; seeks to unite with dead lover)
- Boswick (fat and paralysed and filthy rich; runs blood sport events in a seaside cave)
- Maugel (informant and seller of gloom; 25gp per dose)
- One-Armed Caldwell (pirate captain; magical oculi replicate gaze attacks survived)
- Smirgul the Creeping (former assassin; may teach secret art of murder)
- Yuan the Rich (owner of shipyard; seeks portal keys)
Special Equipment & Services
- Bottled Message (10gp; reaches any port or beach in 1 haven turn)
- Eel Grenade (25gp; thrown weapon; 1d8 electricity damage; double vs. metal and water)
- Harlot (5gp; reroll HD with advantage; save or contract STD; +5gp gain 1 rumour)
- Harpoon Gun (50gp; mounted; 2d6 damage; takes 2 rounds to reload)
- Sea Candle (100gp; whale fat; cancels charms and mind control if only light source)
2 - Foreignors
3 - Gull People
4 - Lunatic Priests
5 - Pirates
6 - Fishermen (and Giant Slugs)
7 - Harlots (and White Ape)
8 - Whalers
9 - Drunkard
10 - Traders
11 - Lamprey Folk
12 - Monsters
Members of the Fishmongers’ Guild. Masks made of fish scales and oyster shells. They haul their fish around in carts drawn by giant slugs. They hate whalers with a passion, and the feeling is mutual.
Fisherman (2d6): HD 1 | AC unarmoured | MV 12 | ML 5 | ATK net (save or rooted) or knife 1d4
Giant Slug (1d3): HD 5 | AC leather | MV 3 | ML 5 | ATK bite 2d6 (save or swallowed)
- Secret agents in disguise. If they feel their position is compromised, they draw their weapons (1 short moonsteel blades, 2 bottled lightning, 3 light crossbows with poisoned arrows, 4 flaming whips) and clear an exit route.
- Smuggling contraband inside fish (1 angeldust, 2 flamingo feathers, 3 red ink, 4 striped socks).
- Chasing someone (1 prankster child, 2 thief, 3 lone whaler, 4 unmasked vigilante).
- Marching towards an alley to beat up 1d4 whalers. Will inevitably drag the party into the conflict on either side.
- Selling one-use bamboo fishing rods for 50gp (3-in-6 of catching something interesting: 1 map, 2 boots, 3 love letter, 4 mermaid).
- Chatting about an interesting location (1 pirate cove, 2 island with ruins, 3 secret tunnels, 4 pagan shrine).